Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Home With No Chairs, No Walls and No Roof

MTC district
OK where do I start. I'm not really sure cause there´s a lot to talk about. I got to get it out of the way though. I'm so happy the debates are going well! That´s annoying about Biden. I never liked him but hey as a missionary I guess I have to say he´s an OK guy. Oh gosh I can't do it...I take that back. Also I'm glad to hear Romney is winning in the polls. I just got my ballot and voted for...yeah you guessed it Romney! I'll send it in on Monday.

I can't believe there was that Marijuana thing on it! Oregon is dumb sometimes but whatever it better not pass.

Alright as for my week it was awesome. As I told you guys on Tuesday we went proselyting. I went on splits with my Latino roommate Elder Olguin. He is the funniest guy ever and speaks pretty good English. We tracted in a big area and had like four hours.

The whole day I didn´t talk much but I could basically understand everything that could be said. If I didn´t know something I would just ask him. My Spanish has been coming along soooo much faster here than in Provo. We even had an English fast the next day and couldn´t talk any English at all the entire day! It was crazy hard but at the same time great.

Alright back to Tuesday. The highlight by far was a man we met holding a bunch of fruit and a machete. I can't remember his name because it was something super Guatemalan. We met him in this little alley thing and started talking. We would have been happy to just give a few pamphlets and maybe a Book of Mormon but he insisted that we come to his house. At the end of the alley there was a piece of plywood that he pushed aside into his house.

There were no walls or a roof. It was just outside. The floor was dirt and about five feet back there was just a drop off into the jungle. He didn't even have chairs for us to sit on so he turned over some buckets for us and put a rag on them so our pants wouldn't get dirty. Elder Olguin taught him an amazing lesson about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. He really seemed to feel the Spirit and definitely wanted to learn more. We gave him a Book of Mormon even though it was kinda hard for him to read. He said he would definitely read it and we are going to have the "real" missionaries come by and talk to him.

As far as his house goes, I knew I was going to see poverty like that but it doesn't really sink in until you're in a house. It definitely was a humbling experience. Well that was definitely the highlight of my week but for the most part the week was just awesome. I'm not exactly sure where it went though because it seems like I was writing you guys two days ago.

The food here is good. I doubt it is anything like I´ll have in the field though. There´s a huge variety of stuff so it's hard to give you an idea of what I eat. Sometimes we eat Mexican type food and sometimes it's more American. It´s weird though because Every meal I have been here they but some type of sauce over it whether it´s eggs, steak, or burritos.There is a lot of meat every day which I'm happy with. More than I´ll probably eat when I'm out.

Oh and yeah I know Elder Campbell! He's cool. He lives pretty close to my and I already found out he´s from Bend. For some reason people here like Bend a lot because people keep asking what it´s like and stuff. OK well I'm glad Curtis is liking school. He must be going crazy to actually like High School but hey whatever. It's definitely a good idea to take health online. They're just a waste of time in school. Although health two was my favorite class. It was super easy and my three best friends were in it so we just kinda messed around. Hey I still got an A because it's pretty much impossible to not get one. And Briana I'm happy you're doing well! Good luck with the Spanish!

I can't wait till I can actually just teach. Well I'm out of time. This next Tuesday we get to go on a big tour of the City. After they take us to the Market which is three stories tall and is going to be awesome. Everything is super cheap here. The most I've spent is 100q...10 dollars and got a ton of stuff.

OK well I miss you guys and have fun watching the last debate without me. Just know my vote is on the way to tip the balance of the vote in Romney's favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment