Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What Is a Big Wet White Guy Doing at My Doorstep?

Well hello family,

How goes it? As you can see by this e-mail I will now be e-mailing on Mondays. So yeah same as Briana...I think. 

Well this week has been kinda crazy. We went to the chapel in Guatemala City right after we left the CCM for changes. I was told that all new people are trained in the City and so I was kinda relieved because I have heard all these horror stories about a place called Zacapa because it`s so incredibly hot. So I was feeling good that day until the slide for Zona Zacapa came up. So here I am in the hottest part of Guatemala for my first area (The only newbie outside of the Capital). Don't worry it`s the coldest part of the year right now so it only gets to about 95....with about 90 percent humidity.

Zacapa, Guatemala

Oh yeah and I should also point out we have one of the biggest areas in the mission. And we don't take buses anywhere cause there aren't any like in the Capital. Oh well it has been fun. We have a big chunk of the city and then also a little Pueblo called Pueblo Modelo. It`s about 5 miles out and everyone there is pretty poor. It`s a lot easier to get in houses there though. It's going to be really hard for anyone there to go to church because it's really far away and church is early. 

Pueblo Modelo

Zacapa is actually pretty cool. There`s about 3 motorcycles for every car and usually you will see 3, 4, or even sometimes 5 people on one moped. It's cool! That`s what I want to do with my family after my mission. Ok maybe not. I have a feeling back in the states that wouldn't be something they would let us do. Oh well.

My first week we did a lot of contacting. We don`t really have that many investigators and none are ready for baptism yet. We've taught a lot of lessons in Pueblo Modelo but not a ton in the actual city. We have one family here that takes the lessons but the Mom can never come to church because she works. I think really the only reason two of the kids came this week is because the 14 year old girl is basically in love with my trainer. It`s pretty funny. 

Oh yeah I should mention that my Trainer`s name is Elder Alvarado from Hondurus. He's pretty great. So I will be with him for at least 12 weeks in this area maybe longer. He doesn't really speak much English but a little I guess. He`s been out for 10 months now.

We have a comedor where we go and eat. It's just at a members house and it's actually really good food. I haven't eaten like anything I don`t like. We eat two meals a day with her usually breakfast and lunch. We're on our own for dinner but lunch here is huge so I'm never really hungry or anything. She also washes all our clothes so it's super nice. I really don`t have to do anything besides walk around everywhere sweating. That`s probably why people don`t let us in a ton. Their first thought has got to be, "What is a big wet white guy doing on my doorstep?" 

Oh if you haven't noticed there aren't any pictures on this e-mail...yeah that`s cause I kinda forgot my camera in the apartment. Oops sorry. The blog will have to be boring for one more week. Unless I forget it next week too then it will be boring for two more weeks!! Hahaha ok I won't do that. I have some good pictures I think. You will see. The easiest way to send will just be using my cord. If I can find it. I think I will be able to. Well I hope. But even if I couldn't I could send some next week. 

Hmm what else, oh my apartment is pretty nice actually. It`s really small with only two rooms. One is with the "kitchen" and our desks. The other is for our beds. We also have a balcony cause we`re on the third floor. It`s awesome cause every night we just kinda chill out there and watch all the drunk people come out of one of the three close bars. The temperature is always perfect at night so we just kinda sit out there and listen to the nice Mariachi music. I`m definitely in a Central American country. It`s fun. 

Hmmm what else in our apartment. Oh yeah we have a shower that`s freezing cold. You might think that here in Zacapa that`s not too bad because it's hot but not in the mornings! Showers here are terrible. I want to die every time I take one haha. Oh well I'll get used to it maybe. Apparently in the Capital some showers have hot water and some are even colder so we'll see what I get if I ever go there. 

Well I miss you guys kinda I guess...oh and I miss my bed a ton! Ha just kidding I probably miss you guys a little more than my bed but I'm not quite sure about that yet. The beds here aren't too bad. Better then that time when you made me sleep on that trundle bed for what seemed like forever. They're just twins obviously but pretty comfortable. 

OK well I don't really got anymore to say and I'm about out of time. Oh yeah last thing. I may or may not have left my nice little laminated patriarchal blessing in the CCM...So yeah if you could get me another one that would be cool. Definitely don't want to go my whole mission without it. I think I have a copy at home so you should be able to. OK Well have a good week and don't be too sad without me. I know it has got to be pretty hard haha. OK bye.   


No comments:

Post a Comment