Monday, April 29, 2013

Experience With a Pastor of Another Church


Well hi family! How`s everything going up there in The US of A? As always I`m glad to hear you guys are doing good and were able to see some of the family even though it wasn`t the best circumstances for them. I hope they`re doing ok now. Also Mom I`m glad to hear you were able to use my experience with the Pastor (good story coming up about him). Also glad to hear your lessons seem to be going good. The Apostasy and Restoration are some of the most interesting topics to me down here in the mission. So on to the week cause I don`t have a ton of time.

So anyway I`ll start by updating you about some investigators. __________, (the boyfriend of a member) is progressing really well. I think we`re planning to put a baptismal date with him this week and he`s already been to church three times so we don`t have to worry about that. He really likes everything and I`m almost positive he likes it for himself and not his girlfriend. 

Also we have __________ (the daughter in Familia ________) and she has a baptismal date for the 11th of May. I really think she`ll be ready and I`m super excited for her. Her family doesn`t want to progress so we`re thinking we`re only going to baptize her. 

Ok on to _________ and his family. This is where the story of the Pastor comes in. We had an appointment with them Jueves to clear up some of the doubts and watch the Joesph Smith movie in the Bishop`s house with them. We passed by his house to bring them and he same out of some other house and said he was ready. But he said first my friends want to talk to you. 

Me and my comp thought nothing of it so we went with him really quick. We came in the house and guess who we met there?? Yeah the Pastor of his church. He`s only about Sean`s age and so I didn`t realize it at first. Also there was a ton of young kids there because they were having their meeting...Uh Oh right? 

So yeah we sat down and he started off by saying stuff like thanks for coming by, this is our group, and you guys are greatly mistaken. He started by attacking Joesph Smith and everything he did. "How did the plates just appear in New York?" "If I could see the plates I would believe but the magically went up into heaven?" "No one can actually see God. Only Moses cause he was special." 

So yeah stuff like that and he started attacking the doctrine of the church with stuff directly out of anti-mormon web sites. We told him specifically we weren`t going to stay long but we sat down with everyone in his congregation and opened the Bible to answer all his questions. It seriously was great because we had him read the verses and he couldn`t say anything against them half the time. 

There was one point he denied something specifically and we read a verse. He realized the verse disagreed with him so he refused to read it haha. He skipped over it and read the next one but finally we got him to read it. It completely contradicted him. It was about a TON of different topics though everything that we talked about. We never said a single bad thing about his church but we invited everyone there to find out for themselves. We invited the Pastor to preach his own religion and stop lying. We bore our testimonies and left because we knew we probably shouldn`t stay a long time. 

The best part (well just funny) is we left with the two boys from his congregation to the Bishop`s house to watch the movie. We also found out later when we weren`t there they were using the Book of Mormon in that group and completely defending it! They left the Bishop`s house super excited too. They love the idea of prophets and everything. We`re hoping to get them baptized (for free) but they haven`t been able to come to church. They promised next week...we`ll see. I`m praying for that haha.

So that took all my time but I had to tell you guys cause it`s one of those experiences I`ll remember forever probably. 

We went to Mixco Viejo which was awesome Saturday. It`s cool, the ruins are preserved so nicely you can run around and climb all over them haha. I`ll try to send some pictures. Oh just found out I can`t send any. These computers have been dying and won`t read usb`s...so yeah. Hopefully soon maybe I can. 

Also if we have 20 baptisms this month in the zone we`re going to Antigua! It`s the best place for ruins in Guatemala and not even in our mission. The Stake President got permission already from President Stay so we`re all trying super hard.

Ok no time. I miss you guys a ton, the church is true, and good luck with everything. Goodbye until next week and as I said one more week closer to talking!!   


No comments:

Post a Comment